Tuesday, June 12, 2007

 

Fuzz Off ClearType

In case anyone was thinking of scoffing at my Apple-fanboyism (fanboyism is a word, isn't it?) when they fired up the new Safari 3 Beta for Windows and saw the strange font-smoothing going on, here's a great piece by the one-and-only Joel Spolsky, explaining what's really going on.


For what it's worth, many XP users might be pleasantly surprised by Safari's strange font-smoothing, as it seems that font-smoothing is set to 'Standard' by default (which is pure shit) and so they're not used to any decent anti-aliasing at all, let alone the truly beautiful (on a computer screen) ClearType font smoothing Windows provides.

I hate seeing a modern computer with anti-aliasing turned off and I incessantly go around enabling ClearType on every Windows computer I get my hands on.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I find that laptop screens are of such superb quality that one is foolish to do anything other than use ClearType. Microsoft Powertoys includes an application that allows the user to modify the anti-aliasing.

Be sure to tune into CPAC by 6:15pm, that's when the budget vote is scheduled to occur. Bill's on right now sticking it to Harper.
 
My fave things about this post are the use of the word "fanboyism" and the saying "fuzz off".

I also enjoy the wikipedia entry on the term fanboy because it lists possible things to become fannishly obsessed with. One is The Legend of Zelda. My mom is a Zelda fangirl. No doubt.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home