Tuesday, August 15, 2006

 

Tunes

I've been thinking about my music collection a lot recently, thanks to the recently completed task of filling Hanni's new computer with music.

Here's a few things I thought I'd bring up:

EXOTICA:
Exotica rocks! It's sort of American-interpretation of tropical/jungle/Hawiian music. I have always been interested in it, but just recently discovered what it's proper name was, and the names of some of the purveyors of the genre, which has allowed me to explore it a little more. I find myself particularly drawn to Martin Denny, but also love Les Baxter and Art Lyman. For some free stuff, check out Vegas Vic's Podcast!

All The Roadrunning:
I've been totally blown away by this new record from the amazing Emmy Lou Harris and the unbelievably talented Mark Knopfler. Great song writing, exceptional vocal talent, technical skill of a level you'll rarely hear equalled, and to top it all off, there's a genuine sweetness that emanates from these two artists... I don't know if they're actually involved with each other but they certainly sold me.

10,000 Days:
This new record from Tool should not be underestimated. I've been through it enough times now to realise the depth of the genius of this record. It takes time to really buy in, but it's worth it.

Comments:
I have been a fan of Mary Lou for a while now. I like the older stuff alot, folk/country. Mary Lou has one of the most distinctive voices I have ever heard. Very soulfull and mournfull. The first track on All The RoadRunning makes me think of Mary Lou's fairly recent album called 'Red Dirt Girl'. This is a great album but really sad to listen to. But its worth checking out.

D
 
Of course, I meant Emmylou. Sorry.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home