Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

New Infusion : Foo Infusion!

So, in light of some ideas I've had recently, I'm starting a new blog, to be run concurrently with Sonic Infusion.

The new blog will be called Foo Infusion, and will reside here. (a link has been added to the side bar as well)

This new blog will center around my life as a developer. Specifically, challenges I have technically and politically (office politics that is)(though I'll try to keep this to a minimum), concerns and wishes for the industry and for my job/career, and interesting things I read or learn about no matter how theoretical or how pragmatic.

From my new blog's handy sidebar:
foo: jargon /foo/ (jargon file)
  1. interj. Term of disgust.
  2. [very common] Used very generally as a sample name for absolutely anything, esp. programs and files (esp. scratch files).
  3. First on the standard list of metasyntactic variables used in syntax examples. See also bar, baz, qux, quux, garply, waldo, fred, plugh, xyzzy, thud.
infusion: n. (in-'fyü-zh&n) (wikipedia)
  1. An infusion is a beverage made by steeping a flavoring substance in hot or boiling water. Infusions include coffee, tea and tisanes. Infusions can also be made in another substance, such as alcohol or vinegar, instead of water.
  2. In medicine an infusion is a treatment in which a patient is attached to a device (a drip) that constantly delivers a liquid into the bloodstream. See route of administration for some further details.
  3. In other contexts, an infusion can mean the introduction of a modifying quality or element. Thus it could be used to describe the addition of new subject matter into a curriculum, or the addition of talented individuals into an organization.
I thought this was fitting. Sticking with the 'infusion' theme, I've coupled in the time honoured hackerism, 'foo'.

I'll link to a few of my favourite blogs from this domain as well. JoelOnSoftware (a completely different Joel, by the way), Call Me Fishmeal, etc.

This all came about while I was reading an article on productivity and happiness at work which included a section on how being a contractor is better than working full time somewhere (?) where the author suggests that blogging has helped him develop his name/fame. Maybe I'll say something decent someday and someone will be able to find it on this new forum I'm setting up.

Also, it's a great tool to use as part of my resume. If someone shows interest in my resume or in me as a developer in general (even outside the context of possible employment) I'll be able to point them to a collection of ideas I've had on development, spanning a significant period of time, that shows how my ideas have evolved (or not) over time.

Anyway, I hope anyone who wants to follow along will.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home