Friday, October 14, 2005

 

Trial Run

In support of my 'Trial Run' theory as presented in the comments for the last post I present [the first half of] this week's I, Cringely article.

In response to Craig's query about whether other video formats will be supported in FrontRow:
I think it will play any video format that can play IN Quicktime. Which is quite a few, and includes all the bests (like MPEG-4 and h.264). Not to mention that Quicktime (like many of Apple's products) has a very powerful plug-in architecture that allows expansion using any codec you get your grubby little hands on.

(It looks like the DivX guys are struggling with Quicktime 7 right now though)

And I think VideoLAN will convert video (almost any video) to mpeg 1 or 2 (mpeg2 is how DVDs are encoded by the way).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home