Wednesday, October 12, 2005

 

news

So, I know there are few of you out there as fanatical about following Apple's press releases and media events and all of that balogney as I am....

SO, I will deliver some of the news from the media event today, as best as I have been able to gather (there was no webcast).

  1. VIDEO IPOD - there is a new video iPod, and it even has a TV out port! Shipping next week!
  2. New iMAC - A new iMac design has been introduced. I would have thought this was going to wait until they wanted to ship an Intel-based machine, but I was wrong. It has a BUILT-IN iSIGHT!!!!
  3. FrontRow - a 'media center' type interface for your MAC! WOOO HOOOOOO!!!!
  4. iTunes 6 - only a few weeks after iTunes 5! Music videos are for sale, and so are TV SHOWS!! Select ABC TV shows are for sale for $2/episode!!
Engadget's got the scoop.

Comments:
Front row looks awesome! I mean, it makes so much sense. Why bother having a huge ugly stereo and a DVD player? Obviously, I know that these were available in computers before but the new iMac makes it so much easier by having a remote. I loved that slide in the special event webcast where it showed the Apple remote verses other DVD player remotes that had over 40 buttons. The Apple remote has 6. It's so simple. I just love how Apple thinks. And that new "app" (I feel like a nerd) called photo booth looks pretty wicked too.

As for the new iPods, I would prefer not to think about them because it makes me depressed about my crappy, scratched up iPod that only has about 2 hours of battery life....
 
I think FrontRow looks crazy too!

And yes that slide was great. Did you watch the presentation or did you just see a picture of that slide?
 
It would be nice if Apple would let you put video on the new iPOD more media formats than quicktime. I know they want to curb piracy but .wmv, .mpeg, and .avi support would really rawk. Do you know if they will be shipping software to convert files with the new iPOD?
 
I watched the entire thing. I couldn't help it! Steve Jobs just made it all so interesting.

It's crazy that you can buy music videos and tv shows and all that now, but I have to say it's pretty obvious that we're still at the very beginning of this type of thing. There's a lot of room for improvement. Yes you can download tv shows for only $1.99 the day after they air on tv, BUT there are only 5 shows to choose from and 3 of them suuuuuuuuck. And yes 2000 music videos is a lot but there are so many more out there. And what about movies? We can go out and rent them, we can order them through our tv - why can't we pay 5 bucks or so and legally download them through iTunes as well?

Does anyone think that this is something we'll be seeing in the near future? Or am I a retard and there is already something like this out there?
 
I think you're totally on top of this one Linz. The issues you brought up are all just sort of hanging in the air like a dark cloud over this. It's sort of like "This is awesome, but we really want all this other stuff too".

I think we're seeing a 'trial run' that was only agreed to because of a close personal relationship with Stevie J and Bob Iger (at Disney) and we'll see more content come on board if things go okay. Apparently NBC has already come knocking....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home