Tuesday, October 18, 2005

 

eight-speed automatic transmissions

JAPAN: Toyota working on eight-speed automatic transmissions : Auto News

I'm excited to see this, as for years now I've been saying that if we're really concerned about fuel economy we should be focused on drive train technology and not so much on powerplant technology (not that powerplant's can't get more efficient, but I think we'll get more bang for our buck in the drive train area)

Actually, since about grade 10 I've been advocating multiple transmission setups to anyone who cared to listen to me talk about this kind o'shizz. I'd love to see a vehicle with a regular 4-speed transmission at the front of the vehicle and a three speed 'transaxle multiplier' type of deal nearer the rear of the vehicle. (Of course this is working with my preference of rear-drive vehicles - 8 gears in one case probably makes more sense for front-drive applications.)

I'd love to build such a beast!

I don't think an 8-speed tranmission is that far off from two transmissions.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home