Wednesday, September 14, 2005

 

Copying

This blog has been decidedly Apple-friendly thus far, but it has strayed away from being anti-Microsoft. On purpose. I think one of the biggest mistakes us Apple-faithful make is comparing Apple's stuff to Microsoft's stuff, especially when confronted with rapid Microsoft-friendly-ism.

Often, though, I'm asked why it matters to me. Why not just bend over and take the Windows suppository along with everyone else. One of those reasons is in full view today and I wanted to expose it to anyone looking for something to think about in this regard.

There are two stories running on MacDailyNews today about 'copying'. One is about a newly announced Windows technology they're calling "Microsoft Gadgets", and the other is about the user interface in the new version of Office. (they're quick)

Compare these two points of blatant 'copying' on the part of Microsoft - attempting to take Apple innovations and present them to the larger community of Windows users, a good proportion of whom will have no exposure with Apple's stuff and will be entirely accepting of these technologies as yet another example of Microsoft making their life easier (though, I've got to tell you, copying or not I don't think they've pulled it off) - compare that with another article running on Time's webiste about the new iPod nano. About how it was boldly concieved as a "let's replace the world's best selling mp3 player with something completely new right on the event horizon of the holiday season. Let's make it so insanely great that it won't matter that we're yanking a popular product, because this will be MORE popular. Better in every way." It took ~9 months to concieve and develop the nano - which is ridiculous; nobody brings products to market that fast.

Microsoft = copy cats; tyrannical monopolists; jerks
Apple = bold innovators; risk takers;

I'm not saying Microsoft never invents anything on it's own, by the way. But it doesn't happen very often.

If you know me at all, it'll be easy for you to understand why Apple draws me in while Microsoft repels me away.

Comments:
You know how I feel about this issue too - same as you. As an "artist" I feel that so much inspiration comes from others but blatant copying is pretty much the opposite of creativity.

Also, I want to take this time to note that your sentence "bend over and take the Windows suppository along with everyone else" was very inspiring. I LMAO (as they say).
 
I liked that analogy too.
 
Don't you think our description of Microsoft and apple as contrastingly 'bold' and as 'immitators'is abit of a characature and too simplistic?
 
If you wanted to make MS look even worse you could point this out - they're trying to put the kybosh on Yahoo's newly acquired Konfabulator (which you've posted about) and the folks over at TGT Soft and StarDock who make things like window blinds (skins for GUI before XP came out), Object Dock (mac menus), and all their other goodies.

On the Office 12 skin - I really don't like the brushed metal look. I find it bloated, takes up too much screen and it's dreary.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home