Monday, April 11, 2005

 

Hiatus - and on to the Mooncup

So, after a ~one week training hiatus, JD is back to deliver your Sonic Infusion (however you prefer to take that - Sometimes I think of it this way and sometimes I think of it that way).

I learned lots about XSLT/XSL-FO last week, and they may come up in blogs to come, but today I want to talk about something much less geeky: menstruation.

For a long time now I've been thinking about how it doesn't make sense that we (I guess I mean 'women' when I say we, so not really me at all) create this mountain of waste , walk the line of poisoning ourselves (again, I mean 'women', and not me in particular), and spend a fortune, with/on feminine sanitation products.

I have always thought it would make a lot of sense to provide a tax credit (at the very least) to menstruating women to help compensate for the mountains of money they must spend on their monthly functions. I bet if you count sanitation products, pain killers and tea, you're probably looking at 2-5%+ of most women's income (that's on about 30k/year), without even including lost productivity (due to cramps, irritability, inability to concentrate, etc). That's ridiculous. When you think of it this way, it's like men automatically make 5% more money because they don't have to buy these things. I know it's not as clear cut as this, but it definitely is substantial.

I didn't however, have any suggestions for how to solve the waste/poisoning problem.

There's a new product out to help solve these problems and more. I know there will be many ladies out there not to impressed by this idea (morgie) but I think I like it (and that probably doesn't mean much, because, as we went over already, I am not a woman). As the article states, it's made of "medical grade non-allergic silicone" so it's sure to be healthier for you than bleached, fibrous, carcinogenic synthetic cotton. Plus, it fits the "treehugger" criteria as well - "‘Silicone is derived from silica which is found in sandstone and quartz, one of the most abundant resources on our planet.’" (explore the links at the end of the above linked article for more info)

Just something to think about for all of us (and this time I mean men and women).

Comments:
I believe the North American brand for this product is The Keeper, with Mooncup being the UK product; they may even be different companies, but the products look virtually identical. I know some people (women, mostly) that use them and they say they work reasonably well.

Venus Envy in Halifax sells them.
 
I have heard of the Keeper as well, and seen and read a lot on this product before.

It's not really NEW and it freaks me out a little. I am probably the ONLY girl (woman...) who will post a comment on here (maybe Linz will if I do) so I feel a lot like I'm talking about girl stuff in a room full of boys. BUT I certainly agree with the tax credit thing too. Or something similar. Maybe not for pain "easers", although my household, and I'm sure yours, goes through quite a lot of those. I think the same thing about diapers too, you know. And don't say "well you can save thousands of dollars on diapers by using cloth ones" because the same goes for feminine products. And I'm sure you don't think THAT sounds as appealing, eh?

Anyway I do have something for you to think about... do you suppose there is ANYTHING that could be considered the male equivalent in terms of something that you HAVE to spend $$ on? Because I know I've said "whine whine whine, women have it so much worse, we have to give birth and go through cramps and all that" before and you always seem to think it evens out somehow...
 
Sure, we have to put up with women ;)
(just kidding)

The point of the post (esp the tax credit comment) was that men don't really have an equivalent expense.

Although, if we're talking purely monetary things men (almost without exception) lose their shirt in a divorce, whatever the reason for the breakup. I don't really think that's a directly applicable comparison though....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home