Monday, February 07, 2005

 

iPod Eve Story

"This Feels Like Crap!"
Lindsay asked Morgan a while ago about how I respond when people question my left-leaning, hippy, communist, Mac ways. Why do I like Apple's stuff better, or why would I buy an Apple when *this* and *this* and *this other thing* are pretty much known to be true...

Anyway, I've been thinking about this question for a long time, and I have much more to say on the subject than this post will allude to, but this article hints at what, I think, is the root of the idea. Which is that I feel like Apple actually cares about me. I feel like they do things just for me. I feel like when they make the iPod's headphone jack click "just so", not only did they do it on purpose, but they did it for me. I certainly don't feel like the designers had me in mind when they made the Dell QuietKey I use at work, or when they came up with the idiotic menu-hiding thing that Windows does.... I could go on for hours - with some examples from outside the realm of computing, by the way.

The point is, with Apple stuff, the experience is king, in all it entails. Kind of refreshing, don't you think.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home