Wednesday, November 24, 2004

 

Convert - Episode I

I'll post hints I give to folks about using a Macintosh, artifacts of iLife (yours and mine), and generally helpful stuff along these lines from time to time.

Here's some advise I dispensed this morning:
Most people who are 'used to' windows don't know that macintoshes have contextual menus (windows calls it "right-clicking")

Pretty much anything you do with a 'right-click' in windows can be done with a control-click on a machintosh. Often times (more common in Mac OS 9) you can do a click-and-hold to get the same effect.

In this instance the comment was directed towards downloading a document from a webpage, (as in the Windows:IE convention "Save Target As...") but it also applies to changing desktop settings, getting info an files and folders and drives (as in the Windows convention "Properties..."), an 'open with...' dialog for files... it's really a one-to-one map with right clicking in windows.

Comments:
If you plug your two button mouse into a Mac (as I usually do to when I'm Macin' it up) the right click becomes the control-click, voila! It's like that which we're familiar with!

Angst-Filled Rob
 
I know the click 'n' hold AND the control-click things. I just thought the problem was with Reader so I figured it wouldn't work that way either.

You are such a helpful geek though :o)
**Morgan**
 
Modern times be damned. I'm still a one-button man.
 
The shiny-Mac is fed it's mousing information from a 5 button MS mouse. I've got expose mapped to the mouse. It's double-plus-rad.

--Jamie
 
Using mouse buttons for expose might not be a bad idea actually.
I think the office is going to buy me a nice trackball Kensington soon, which will allow me try this idea out maybe....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home